Drug trafficking is considered a serious crime that can result in severe penalties in the state of Utah. At Preston Day Law, we have the knowledge and skill to help you navigate the legal process and fight for your rights. Our Utah County drug trafficking lawyer understands the serious consequences of these convictions and will work hard to protect your future.
Call Preston Day Law today at (801) 335-6261 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug trafficking lawyer in Utah County.
What is Drug Trafficking?
Drug trafficking involves the illicit distribution, sale, transportation, or import of controlled substances, such as illegal drugs or prescription medications. In Utah County, law enforcement agencies aggressively pursue individuals involved in drug trafficking activities. It's crucial to understand that being charged with drug trafficking doesn't only apply to major drug kingpins but can also affect individuals involved in the transportation or distribution of even small quantities of controlled substances.
What are the Penalties for Drug Trafficking in Utah?
Utah has strict laws and severe penalties for drug trafficking offenses. The severity of the penalties depends on various factors, including the type and quantity of drugs involved, prior criminal history, and whether the offense occurred near a school or other protected areas. Common penalties for drug trafficking in Utah County may include:
- Prison Time: Convictions for drug trafficking often result in substantial prison sentences, ranging from several years to life imprisonment, depending on the circumstances.
- Fines: Individuals convicted of drug trafficking may face substantial fines, which can impose a significant financial burden.
- Asset Forfeiture: The government may seize assets, including money, vehicles, or property, believed to be connected to drug trafficking activities.
- Mandatory Minimum Sentences: Utah has mandatory minimum sentences for certain drug trafficking offenses, limiting a judge's discretion in sentencing.
Some common defenses against drug trafficking charges may include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement had violated your Fourth Amendment rights during a search and seizure, evidence obtained may be deemed inadmissible in court.
- Lack of Intent: Demonstrating that you had no intent to distribute or traffic drugs may be a viable defense strategy in certain cases.
- Chain of Custody Issues: Challenging the integrity of the evidence by questioning the chain of custody can cast doubt on the reliability of the prosecution's case.
- Coerced Confessions: If law enforcement used coercive tactics to obtain a confession, we can challenge the admissibility of such statements in court.
- Insufficient Evidence: Insisting on the prosecution's burden to prove every component of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt, we can rigorously examine the evidence against you.
When facing drug trafficking charges, time is of the essence. Swift action is crucial to building a strong defense and protecting your rights. At Preston Day Law, our Utah County drug trafficking attorney will listen to your concerns, assess the details of your case, and outline a strategic defense plan designed to achieve the best possible outcome.
Contact Preston Day Law today to get started with our Utah County drug trafficking attorney.
Extensive Knowledge With Litigation.
When legal matters become contentious, having an attorney in your corner who is comfortable in the courtroom and well-versed in litigation can make a big difference in the outcome of your case. For your family law and criminal defense needs in the greater Salt Lake City, Utah area, I am ready and willing to stand up and fight for you.
Calm & Caring Guidance for Your Case
I understand that your legal issue, whether family-related or involving criminal charges, may be the most stressful and difficult experience of your life. Having an attorney who is focused on protecting your best interests and making sure you are put in the most favorable position available will give you peace of mind as you move forward.
We Will Work Together to Seek a SolutionWhen the result will have such a long-lasting impact on your life, you deserve to be involved and included in each step of the legal process. I will meet with you to hear your story, listen to your input, and answer all of the important questions you may have along the way. When the outcome is important to you, it's important to me.